Oakbridges works with executive and management teams to consider how labour and industrial relationships are best handled to ensure commercial and social commitments are achieved. The labour environment is complex and made more so during a merger or acquisition. The union movement pays particular interest to organizations and members during these heightened times of change and employee upheaval. Our approaches are focussed on early planning, leveraging this time of change to reduce disputes, expedite and achieve the business goals and desired new merged organization culture. We work in conjunction with legal, sustainable development. Human Resources, external and community affairs departments and others to bring the labour strategy expertise to the table. We are business focussed and conduct our practice based on shared value principles.
Consulting for Mergers and Acquisitions
We can help:
- Identify key labour issues and management rights arising from the Merger or Acquisition (e.g. separate bargaining units, different bargaining agents (unions), etc.) and assess the impact, (risks on and opportunities) for the business going forward.
- Assess the union’s strategy and position on these matters. Provide guidance to management on response to the Union(s)’ position.
- Create a comprehensive Industrial and Labour Relations strategy to compliment the overall Merger and Acquisition Plan.
- Collective Agreement review – identify key bargaining issues in the past and for future negotiations. Determine if mid term Merger Agreement is advisable and provide guidance on such an approach.
- Review of current Industrial and Labour Relations Cultures.
- Identify / Assess disputes related to the application, interpretation and administration of the collective agreements.
- Situational Assessment – conduct focus groups with front line employees, supervisors and managers to identify key, salient issues and develop an action plan to address risks.